Thursday, May 10, 2012

Getting PLL to build on my new machine - DirectX Update Step

DirectX Update

I have been avoiding updating DirectX for a couple of years as I was using XP for the development machine (long story)

So now DirectX has been rolled into the Windows SDK... Eh!  I would probably have needed that anyway.  Time for a mega download.   Waiting waiting waiting..

Naturally its broken.  Fails too find files at the Microsoft Site...

So I need to roll back to the previous SDK and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1  installer.... will this one work?

Its been sitting at the "Preparing" screen for a couple of minutes now.

 

Update.... 2 days later... this saga is still ongoing.  After all sorts of broken downloads and web scrounging. I think I have the Windows SDK downloaded.  Really, I'm not sure its complete but have just stopped caring.

I tried compiling and found that the headers in the SDK have changed and lost some key DirectX 9 headers I was using..... Blah.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  I feel like I have just wasted the past two days.

So in a last ditch attempt to get something moving, I am trying to download the last DirectX 9 SDK (June 2010)  which, fingers crossed I might still be able to use.  This will hopefully give me a smoother path forward.

I really don't want to re-write all my rendering code and graphics system (Again).  It's just a little too depressing to face right now.

It's enough to make me learn OpenGL.... nearly.  (Nothing wrong with OpenGL... I just have never had enough pain to jump...)

I keep looking at SDL but the documentation is just tooo Lite.  I can foresee pain without answers.  OpenGL is about as unsupported as I feel like going.

I have had a look at QT and OGRE again but they are still doing their own stuff. 

If Nokia tanks then QT will be in a bad spot (quite likely picked up by someone else but its still uncertainty....) while OGRE has too much "hack" still in it for a project I can't aford to frollick around with.

It's also got a different architecture that would mean I needed to rebuild my work substantially.  I really don't want to do that.

I really, really don't want to do that.  I've essentially written the graphics system for this product 4 or 5 times already over the past half decade. You would think it would be totally done by now.

This makes OpenGL a reasonable and I feel... only.... candidate for swapping out the graphics system.  May need to look at QT again when I'm more awake.  Wonder how fast I can download the QT SDK?  Hmmm... 1.7G in just over 1 minute... what do you know... they are comming of another Akamai server... lol.  Different IP's.  They are both located somewhere in Sydney but one is one step further than the other after the last aarnet hoop. (The unusual box is in the QT trace so its not the culprit in the slow Microsoft download...weird)

Anyway, I'm out of time this week...

So after downloading the installer DXSDK_Jun10.exe for the June 2010 version of DirectX9 and installing it,  add the include and linker paths and compile and we are shiny!.  (Well except for the next lot of errors about libSndFile.

No comments:

Post a Comment